Vol. 1, 22 December 2021
* Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
The Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty (INF Treaty) is a milestone in the history of arms control negotiations between the United States and the Soviet Union, but there are continuous disputes during its existence. From February 2, 2019, the United States announced the suspension of its obligations under the INF Treaty and officially started the withdrawal process. On the same day, the Russian president also announced the suspension of implementation. The factors behind the successive withdrawal are complicated and are related to the development of the international arms control system in the future. This papermainly focuses on the analysis of the reasons for the withdrawal by comparing the two sides under the same perspective through the levels of analysis.
levels of analysis, US-Russian relations, intermediate-range nuclear forces treaty, nuclear reductions
1. Lv Yuan. Introduction to the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty [J]. Foreign Nuclear News, 1988(07):33.
2. Zhao Yuming. Thirty Years after the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty: Both the US and Russia Want It to End? [J]. World Affairs, 2018(06):29-31.
3. Yang Weili, Zhang Wenming. An Analysis of the Main Reason and Influence of American’s Withdrawal from the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty [J]. Tactical Missile Technology, 2019 (05):110-113.
4. Feng Yujun. “Forced” Withdrawal from the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty: Russia’ s Concern [J]. World Affairs, 2019(07):75.
5. The White House, “National Security Strategy of the United States of America”, The White House， Washington, DC, December, 2017
6. U.S. Department of Defense, “2018 National Defense Strategy of the United States of America,” January 2018, p.2. https://dod.defense.gov/Portals/1/Documents/pubs/2018-National-Defense-Strategy-Summary.pdf, 2019-03- 10.
8. Feng Yujun. China Should Take Precautions of the Upcoming International Arms Control Negotiation [J]. World Affairs. 2019(09):75.
9. Wang Hui. Trump’s “America First” Foreign Policy and World Order Crisis [J]. Reality Only, 2019(12):90-93.
10. Sun Bo, Lai Jinhui. Abandon or Trade: An Analysis of the Capability and Prospect of Trump’s Withdrawal from the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty [J]. Heihe Journal, 2019(05):73-76.
11. Kenneth Waltz, Man, the State and War: A Theoretical Analysis, New York: Columbia University Press, 1959.
12. J. David Singer, “The Level-of-Analysis Problem in International Relations”, in Klaus Knorr and Sidney Verba, eds., The International System: Theoretical Essays, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1961.
13. James Rosenau, The Scientific Study of Foreign Policy, London: Frances Printer, 1980, pp .115-169
14. Bruce Russett and Harvey Starr, World Politics: A Menu for Choice, New York: W. H. Freeman, 1992, pp.11-17
15. Wu Lei. Research on the Variety of War Levels: A Combination of Levels of Analysis and Ways of Interpretation [J]. International Forum, 2013, (5):64.
16. Shang Quanyu. Levels of Analysis for International Relations: Origins, Development, Connotation, and Application [J]. International Forum. 2011, 13(04): 50- 53+ 80-81.
17. Kimberly Marten，Putin’s Choices: Explaining Russian Foreign Policy and Intervention in Ukraine，The Washington Quarterly，Summer 2015.
18. Huanqiu.com, Will the Hell Gate of Nuclear War Be Opened Again When the United States Threatens to Withdraw from the INF Treaty? https://baijiahao.baidu.com/s?id=1614963312106083113, 2018-10-22.
19. The Chinanews Online Service. The Democratic Party Is Expected to Recapture the House of Representatives in the Second Half of Voting in the US Mid-Term Elections. https://www.sohu.com/a/273732200 _ 123753, 2018-11-7
20. www.haiwainei.cn, The Collapse of the International Arms Control System Began When the United States Announced It, https://news.163.com/19/0202/06/E708KP1H0001875O.html, 2019-2-2.
21. xinhuanet.com, The Prospects for the Renewal of the New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty are bleak, https://baijiahao.baidu.com/s?id=1666032407950422756&wfr=spider&for=pc, 2020-5-7.
22. Reference News, US Report Says "DF-26” Can Carry Nuclear Warheads: China's Nuclear Deterrence Has Been Enhanced, www.cankaoxiaoxi.com/china/20170608/2096932.shtml?sg_news, 2017-6-8.
23. National Defense Reference, Not Seeking Hegemony, More Than Security - Reconsidering Russia's Growing Strategic Nuclear Forces, www.chinatodayclub.com/news/shishi/24528.html, 2017-5-4.
24. PLA Daily, Russia Speeds Up Forging Air and Space Combat Forces, big5.xinhuanet.com/gate/big5/ www.xinhuanet.com/2020-04/28/c_1210491697.htm, 2020-4-28.
25. CRI Online, The Russian Government Said It Would Take NATO’ s Eastward Expansion "Seriously", http://email@example.com, 2004-3-30.
26. Hexun.com, The New U.S. Secretary of Defense travels to Asia Pacific: A Failed Attempt, https://www.sohu.com/a/332771293_639898, 2019-8-10.
27. The Paper, "The INF Treaty" and "Pure idealism" . https://www.sohu.com/a/290439007_260616, 2019-1-21
28. Guangming Online, Will the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty Continue, https://www.sohu.com/a/ 298148117_162758, 2019-2-28.
The datasets used and/or analyzed during the current study will be available from the authors upon reasonable request.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. Authors who publish this journal agree to the following terms:
1. Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgment of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
2. Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgment of its initial publication in this journal.
3. Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See Open Access Instruction).