Vol. 3, 01 March 2023
* Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
This report identifies factors that influence students’ choices over where to pursue a master’s degree. Based on information from the empirical study as well as scholarly works done by previous writers on education, the initial hypothesis of 10 factors with a whole spectrum of effects was proposed. This research employed both qualitative analysis and quantitative method of reliability and factor analyses. The qualitative part figured out a total of 18 original factors for quantitative analysis, which later compared their matrix and leave 15 factors of strong relevance. The results indicate that students’ own needs turn out to be the most influential factor, with school characteristics, others’ opinions, and the administrative efficacy of the school also contributing to the issue.
behavioral science., mixed methods research, postgraduate education, school choice
1. Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China. (2021, December 22). All preparations for the 2022 Unified National Graduate Entrance Examination were done. Retrieved January 13, 2022, from http://www.moe.gov.cn/jyb_xwfb/gzdt_gzdt/s5987/202112/t20211222_589176.html
2. Wei, H. (2013). An empirical study on the determinants of international student mobility: a global perspective. Higher Education, 66(1), 105–122. http://www.jstor.org/stable/23473596
3. Holdsworth, D. K. (2006). Choice Modeling New Zealand High School Seniors’ Preferences for University Education [J]. Journal of Marketing for Higher Education, 15(2), 81-102.
4. İlğan, A., Ataman, O., & Yurdunkulu, A. (2018). Factors Affecting University Choice: A Study on University Freshman Students. Germany: Buca Faculty of Education Journal, 46, 199-216.
5. Peters, D. L., & Daly, S. R. (2013). Returning to Graduate School: Expectations of Success, Values of the Degree, and Managing the Costs. J. Eng. Educ., 102: 244-268. https://doi.org/10.1002/jee.20012
6. Kaiser, H. F. (1960). "The Application of Electronic Computers to Factor Analysis". Educational and Psychological Measurement. 20 (1): 141–151. https://doi.org/10.1177/001316446002000116
The datasets used and/or analyzed during the current study will be available from the authors upon reasonable request.