Vol. 2, 01 March 2023
* Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
In the paper, the human behavior risk factors of esophageal cancer will be summarized and sorted out, Linzhou, a high-incidence area of esophageal cancer in northern China, is regarded as the field observation object for the study, and it is hoped that the reasons for many risk factors continuously existing in high-risk areas are explained by Bourdieu’s habitus theory, meanwhile, the existence and prevention of esophageal cancer in Linzhou was described correspondingly, and the economic and cultural background behind it was tried to explore. As an epitome of major prevention and control of diseases in rural areas of China, the study can be an effective supplement to anthropology and epidemiology in the field.
Medical anthropology, Esophageal cancer, Linzhou of China, Epidemiology, Habitus
1. Bray F, Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I, Siegel RL, Torre LA, Jemal A.(2018) Global cancer statistics 2018: GLOBOCAN estimates of incidence and mortality worldwide for 36 cancers in 185 countries. CA Cancer J Clin.;68(6):394-424.
2. Asombang AW, Chishinga N, Nkhoma A, et al.(2019) Systematic review of esophageal cancer in Africa: Epidemiology, risk factors, management and outcomes. World J Gastroenterol. 25(31):4512-4533.
3. Kamangar F, Nasrollahzadeh D, Safiri S, et al. (2020)The global, regional, and national burden of oesophageal cancer and its attributable risk factors in 195 countries and territories, 1990–2017: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017. Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol. 5(6):582-597.
4. Gupta B, Kumar N. (2017)Worldwide incidence, mortality and time trends for cancer of the oesophagus. Eur J Cancer Prev. 26(2):107-118.
5. He H, Chen N, Hou Y, et al. (2020)Trends in the incidence and survival of patients with esophageal cancer: A SEER database analysis. Thorac Cancer. 11(5):1121-1128.
6. Malhotra GK, Yanala U, Ravipati A, Follet M, Vijayakumar M, Are C.(2017) Global trends in esophageal cancer. J Surg Oncol. 115(5):564-579.
7. Lin Y, Totsuka Y, He Y, et al.(2013) Epidemiology of Esophageal Cancer in Japan and China. J Epidemiol. 23(4):233-242.
8. Lam NSN.(1986) Geographical patterns of cancer mortality in China. Soc Sci Med. 23(3):241-247.
9. Yang CS. Research on Esophageal Cancer in China: a Review. :13.
10. Marshall PA.(1998) Sickness and Healing: An Anthropological Perspective:Sickness and Healing: An Anthropological Perspective. Med Anthropol Q. 12(2):250-252.
11. Leck I.(1987) Methods in observational epidemiology. J Epidemiol Community Health. 41(3):263-264.
12. Mahboubi EO, (1980) Aramesh B. Epidemiology of esophageal cancer in Iran, with special reference to nutritional and cultural aspects. Prev Med. 9(5):613-621.
13. Wu K, Li K.(2007) Association between esophageal cancer and drought in China by using Geographic Information System. Environ Int. 33(5):603-608.
14. He Y, Li D, Shan B, et al.(2019) Incidence and mortality of esophagus cancer in China, 2008−2012. Chin J Cancer Res. 31(3):426-434.
15. Li P, Jing J, Guo W, et al.(2021) The associations of air pollution and socioeconomic factors with esophageal cancer in China based on a spatiotemporal analysis. Environ Res. 196:110415.
16. Zhang T, Pan D, Su M, et al.(2018) Determination of dietary nitrite in patients with esophageal pre-cancerous lesion and normal people: a duplicate diet study. Food Addit Contam Part A. 35(12):2298-2308.
17. Arnal MJD.(2015) Esophageal cancer: Risk factors, screening and endoscopic treatment in Western and Eastern countries. World J Gastroenterol. 21(26):7933.
18. Kaul L, Nidiry JJ, Charles-Marcel Z, Enterline JP, Brown CO.(1986) Diet and esophageal cancer: A case-control study. Nutr Res. 6(8):905-912.
19. Zhang Y.(2013) Epidemiology of esophageal cancer. World J Gastroenterol. 19(34):5598.
20. Tian D, Mo SJ, Han LK, et al.(2018) Investigation of Dietary Factors and Esophageal Cancer Knowledge: Comparison of Rural Residents in High- and Low-incidence Areas. Sci Rep. 8(1):4914.
21. Mwachiro MM, Parker RK, Pritchett NR, et al.(2019) Investigating tea temperature and content as risk factors for esophageal cancer in an endemic region of Western Kenya: Validation of a questionnaire and analysis of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon content. Cancer Epidemiol. 60:60-66.
22. Short MW.(2017) Esophageal Cancer. Esophageal Cancer. 95(1):7.
23. Barone J, Taioli E, Hebert JR, Wynder EL.(1992) Vitamin supplement use and risk for oral and esophageal cancer. Nutr Cancer. 18(1):31-41.
24. Dawsey SM, Fagundes RB, Jacobson BC, et al.(2014) Diet and esophageal disease: Diet and esophageal disease. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1325(1):127-137.
25. Lu JB, Yang WX, Qin YM, Lru JM, Li YS.(1985) Trends in morbidity and mortality for oesophageal cancer in linxian county, 1959–1983. Int J Cancer. 36(6):643-645.
26. Wei WQ.(2005) Risk factors for oesophageal squamous dysplasia in adult inhabitants of a high risk region of China. Gut. 54(6):759-763.
27. He Z, Zhao Y, Guo C, et al.(2010) Prevalence and risk factors for esophageal squamous cell cancer and precursor lesions in Anyang, China: a population-based endoscopic survey. Br J Cancer.103(7):1085-1088.
28. Jiao Hongkai. (2016). 'Environment and disease: a study on historical geography of Linzhou City with high incidence of esophageal cancer’.
29. Wang JB, Fan JH, Dawsey SM, et al.(2016) Dietary components and risk of total, cancer and cardiovascular disease mortality in the Linxian Nutrition Intervention Trials cohort in China. Sci Rep. 6(1):22619.
30. Dettwyler KA.(1993) The biocultural approach in nutritional anthropology: Case studies of malnutrition in Mali. Med Anthropol. 15(1):17-39.
31. Inhorn MC, Buss KA.(1993) Infertility, infection, and latrogenesis in Egypt: The anthropological epidemiology of blocked tubes. Med Anthropol. 15(3):217-244.
32. Liu SZ, Wang B, Zhang F, et al.(2013) Incidence, Survival and Prevalence of Esophageal and Gastric Cancer in Linzhou City from 2003 to 2009. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 14(10):6031-6034.
33. Nichter M.(1985) Cultural interpretations of states of malnutrition among children: A South Indian case study. Med Anthropol. 9(1):25-48.
34. Pérez-Stable EJ.(1992) Misconceptions About Cancer Among Latinos and Anglos. JAMA J Am Med Assoc. 268(22):3219.
35. Eisenbruch M, Handelman L.(1990) Cultural consultation for cancer: Astrocytoma in a Cambodian adolescent. Soc Sci Med. 31(12):1295-1299.
36. Sun LNN, Stewart SM.(2000) Psychological adjustment to cancer in a collective culture. Int J Psychol. 35(5):177-185.
37. Pelto PJ, Pelto GH.(1997) Studying Knowledge, Culture, and Behavior in Applied Medical Anthropology. Med Anthropol Q. 11(2):147-163.
38. Huang X.(2019) Understanding Bourdieu - Cultural Capital and Habitus. Rev Eur Stud. 11(3):45.
39. Swartz D. (2012) Culture and Power: The Sociology of Pierre Bourdieu. University of Chicago Press;
40. Bourdieu P.(1990) The Logic of Practice. Stanford university press;.
41. Bourdieu P, Passeron JC.(1990) Reproduction in Education, Society and Culture. Vol 4. Sage;
42. Bourdieu P. Distinction: A Social Critique of the Judgement of Taste. :8.
The datasets used and/or analyzed during the current study will be available from the authors upon reasonable request.