Vol. 1, 22 December 2021
* Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
The Hispanic vote in America has traditionally leaned more Democrat in the United States. Appealing to the Hispanic vote as a political tactic has been popular ever since Kennedy’s “Viva Kennedy” campaign to reach out to Mexican Americans, which formed a large part of his victory. This trend will only continue as Hispanic-Americans are the fastestgrowing demographic in America. This paper analyzes the influence of four factors on Hispanic voting in the United States to try and create hypotheses to predict on what considerations must be made when predicting the Hispanic vote.
Cuban, Hispanic, voting, 2020 election, United States
1. Abrajano, M.A., Michael Alvarez, R., Nagler, J., 2008. The Hispanic Vote in the 2004 Presidential Election: Insecurity and Moral Concerns. The Journal of Politics 70, 368–382. https://doi.org/10.1017/s0022381608080365
2. Kuriwaki, S., 2021. Cumulative CCES Common Content. https://doi.org/10.7910/DVN/II2DB6
3. Lopez, M.H., Gonzalez-Barrera, A., Krogstad, J.M., 2018. More Latinos Have Serious Concerns About Their Place in America Under Trump 55.
4. Naumann, L.P., Benet-Martínez, V., Espinoza, P., 2017. Correlates of Political Ideology Among U.S.-Born Mexican Americans: Cultural Identification, Acculturation Attitudes, and Socioeconomic Status. Social Psychological and Personality Science 8, 20–28. https://doi.org/10.1177/1948550616662124
5. Opinion | Why 2020 must be a referendum on Trump, n.d. . Washington Post.
6. Referendum on Trump Shatters Turnout Records | Texas News | US News [WWW Document], n.d. . US News & World Report. URL //www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2020-11-09/referendum-on-trump-shatters-turnoutrecords (accessed 6.19.21).
7. Referendum on Trump shatters turnout records [WWW Document], 2021. . AP NEWS. URL https://apnews.com/article/referendum-on-trump-shatter-voter-record-c5c61a8d280123a1d340a3f633077800 (accessed 6.19.21).
8. Schaffner, Brian; Ansolabehere, Stephen; Luks, Sam, 2021, "Cooperative Election Study Common Content, 2020", https://doi.org/10.7910/DVN/E9N6PH, Harvard Dataverse, V1
9. Uhlaner, C.J., Garcia, F.C., 1998. Foundations of Latino Party Identification: Learning, Ethnicity and Demographic Factors Among Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Cubans and Anglos in the United States.
The datasets used and/or analyzed during the current study will be available from the authors upon reasonable request.